Make Your Home Irresistible to Buyers
While the term is overused, it remains true that first impressions count. And you never get a second chance to make a first impression! So what is curb appeal? In today’s real estate market, creating outstanding curb appeal is no longer an option, it’s a must! Curb appeal is about creating that instant love-at-first-sight moment when your potential buyer drives up to your home. Simply put, it’s the physical appearance of your home at first glance. It’s when they decide that they want to go in or that they want to drive away.
Here are several ways to greatly increase the appeal of your home both inside and out without breaking your bank account:
- Keep the lawn cut, edged and watered
- Trim hedges, weed flowerbeds and prune trees
- Add fresh mulch in natural areas
- Remove leaves left behind from the Autumn
- Remove any dead bushes
- Add seasonal plants for some color along walkways to your home.
- Clean and align gutters
- Repair and replace damaged roof shingles
- Make sure the driveway is in good repair
- Inspect doors and windows for peeling paint
- Wash the windows
- Remove all clutter
- Hire a professional cleaning service; a super clean home is a must
- If necessary, repaint any walls that are soiled or strongly colored. Neutral shades help a home show in the best way
- Replace cracked windowpanes
- Repair dripping faucets or toilets that do not flush properly
- If you own an older home with original windows, make sure they all work
- Check your basement for any signs of water entry. This is a huge issue for potential buyers. If there is a persistent problem, have a specialist come in to give you an estimate for French drains and a sump pump.
- Have your chimney cleaned and inspected to avoid surprises. If you don’t have the inspection, your buyer will likely do it. Know before you list what the issues may be during the inspection process. The chimney can be a huge wildcard!
- Depersonalize your rooms by putting away family photos and memorabilia
- Use a professional stager so that prospective buyers will see that your house is their next home. Don’t underestimate the importance of this investment. Staged homes sell faster and for more money than unstaged homes.
We are happy to discuss this with you in greater detail and also to provide a complimentary Home Value Analysis (CMA). Give us a call at (646)734-3718 or (646)734-9077.